We're happy to interview Reza Chaji, CEO and founder at VueReal, as part of our series of interviews with MicroLED Industry Association members. Canada-based VueReal developed a unique microLED display production process (which it refers to as a MicroSolid Printing Platform) and the company now offers a turnkey platform that enables its partners and customers to develop a custom display and fabricate it at VueReal's own pilot production line.
Hello Reza, can you introduce your company and technology?
From the outset, we recognized that microLED solutions should address the formidable challenges of developing smartphone microLED displays to pave the way beyond niche markets. Consequently, our focus has been on developing scalable and cost-competitive technologies tailored for high-volume applications. This strategic approach positions us effectively to address the smartphone sector soon and opens doors to other markets.
VueReal's fundamental technological innovation lies in our transfer solution with unique printing attributes, microSolid Printing. This groundbreaking solution boasts distinct advantages over lasers and pick-and-place methods.
- High Yield: One of its standout features is its high yield. Our technology streamlines the repair process by preventing defective microLEDs from being transferred to the backplane, which is crucial for managing high-volume applications.
- Uniformity: Furthermore, microSolid Printing ensures high uniformity in a display. This capability facilitates the utilization of most microLED wafers from a production line, a critical factor for scaling up to high-volume product manufacturing.
- Wafer Utilization: Notably, our technology maximizes wafer utilization, it can achieve an impressive 80% usability despite using round wafers.
- High Throughput: Combination of simple process steps, fast transfer techniques, and multi-transfer enable high throughput capability. VueReal has demonstrated record-breaking <8 seconds per transfer cycle.
- <10um microLED pitch: The adaptability of our technology extends to small devices with a small pitch, effectively eliminating interference between adjacent devices during the transfer process. This is especially significant for applications requiring compact designs.
- Beyond MicroLED: Our solution is compatible with different microLED devices, different material sets and solutions, and, moreover, different optoelectronic devices. As a result, this platform can revolutionize hardware production for different industries soon.
In addition to these core attributes, VueReal has developed a process tailored for augmented reality (AR) and Virtual Reality display applications. This innovative solution enables the creation of full-colour AR and VR displays. Especially in VR, the demand for large but high-resolution displays is challenging. VueReal approach to VR and AR can provide cost-effective, high-performance displays that we think it will help our partners to produce affordable products.
Can you say why you joined the MicroLED Association and what you hope to achieve?
To accelerate the market adoption of microLED, close collaboration of different parties is needed. The association can help and facilitate such cooperation.
What is your biggest challenge and success in the microLED industry?
The biggest challenge came from the nature of such a process. When multiplied by millions (the number of devices that need to be printed for a display), any minor issue can be substantial. Therefore, simplifying the process as much as possible is crucial. Our motto in simplifying the process is that the best process step is what is not added.
Our most significant successes were developing, qualifying, and scaling our printing process.
- Nature of the Process Is The Source of the Main Challenge: The primary challenge stemmed from the inherent complexity of the microLED integration process. With the need to replicate the process across millions of devices for a single display, even minor issues could have substantial repercussions. Multiplying the process by millions heightened the impact of any minor issue, emphasizing the critical importance of simplifying the entire process.
- Crucial Role of Simplification: Recognizing the potential pitfalls, our guiding principle in simplifying the process was encapsulated in the motto: "The best process step is what is not added." This underscores the importance of streamlining and minimizing steps to enhance efficiency and reliability.
- Significant Milestones: Our most notable achievements revolve around developing, qualifying, and successfully scaling our printing process. Overcoming the challenges posed by the intricate nature of microLED technology, we have established a robust and scalable printing process that aligns with industry standards. Central to our success has been the relentless focus on simplifying every aspect of the printing process. This approach minimizes complexities, reducing the likelihood of issues arising during large-scale production.
Can you detail your latest prototype/demonstrations?
- Different sizes and resolutions of passive displays and lighting and two resolution active displays (57 ppi with 85% transparency and 172 ppi with ~65% transparency)
- FHD AR displays
- We are preparing samples for smartwatch (~350 ppi)
- We are preparing samples for AR and VR displays.
How do microLEDs change the display industry in the next 5-10 years?
VueReal solution allows the decentralized production of microLED displays. This will enable more customization of displays and significantly new applications for displays.
In addition, the benefit of our solution is beyond displays, as it can print different devices onto surfaces, enabling new hardware applications that were not possible before.
Thank you Reza, good luck to you and VueReal!